9 (Yes, 9, Not 10) Reasons To Adopt A Mutt
By Dr. Meegan Weiler, Veterinarian
Ever loved a dog to bits even though you haven’t got the faintest idea what breed it might be? Happens all the time. July 31st is National Mutt Day, so let’s explore why getting yourself a mutt (a dog of mixed breed) is an excellent idea if you’re in the market for a wonderful ball of fluff.
- As you probably already know you are quite literally saving a life. Roughly 2.7 million dogs and cats are euthanized yearly.
- Mixed breeds tend to live longer because they come from a wider gene pool and therefore are not as susceptible to recessive, undesirable traits.
- They are unique! Your dog will be one of a kind.
- You will be raising awareness to friends, family and neighbors for adopting and rescuing when they ask where you got your amazing dog.
- You can pay $2,000 for a “designer” morkie, shihpoo, pomsky or next to nothing for a very similar looking “mutt.”
- By adopting/rescuing you are a force in combating puppy mills.
- There are no preconceived notions about behavior.
- Adopting and rescuing is a “pay it forward” event. You will be opening a space for another dog to have a chance.
- My favorite – your mutt is less prone to dog theft, yep, it is a proven fact. If that does not seal the deal on adopting a mutt I don’t know what will!
So don’t shop, adopt! Rocky Gorge Animal Hospital is proud to partner with D.C.’s Humane Rescue Alliance. Visit them today to find your new furry family member!